The Freeza Push Start series showcases young musicians from around Victoria, giving them a platform to perform their music live, share their stories and gain local exposure. Participants will have the opportunity to enhance their live performance skills, meet other local young musicians and receive invaluable support from their community.
Local heats are hosted by Freeza committees each year from March to August, with the winners going on to compete in Regional Finals from September to December. Winners from the nine regional finals then go onto compete in the grand final held as part of the annual St Kilda Festival in February. Each Freeza committee that hosts a heat is assisted to ensure that Freeza Push Start is not only a supportive and inclusive platform for young performers, but for young event organisers and promoters alike.
The Freeza Push Start series is open to applicants of all music styles (electronic, hip-hop, soul, folk, pop, punk, ambient, noise-squelch etc.) and all line-ups including bands, duos, solo artists and DJs.
We are inclusive of all gender identities, sexualities and cultural backgrounds. It is of most benefit to artists performing original material. If you’re a young musician and are interested in entering, check out the information below on how to get involved.
If you want to find out more about the Freeza Push Start series or have any enquiries, call The Push on 03 9380 1277 or email Memphis LK, Project Coordinator – Freeza Push Start at firstname.lastname@example.org.
GET INVOLVED IN 2018!
This year’s series of Freeza Push Start will commence in mid-March, with Freeza committees all around Victoria already planning their local heats.
Find your local Freeza committee here, contact them and find out when their applications open.
Download the ‘FPS Artist Application Form and Guidelines’, complete every section and submit it to your local Freeza worker.
Past Series Finalists – 2017/18
Tiosav Joy (Barwon South West)
Paper Tapir (Eastern Metro)
Squid Doctors (Hume)
IdleSuburbia (Mallee Wimmera)
EMBE (Northern Country)
Sarahj (Northern Metro) – APRA Songwriter Award Winners
Social On The Veranda (Southern Metro)
Hollow December (Western Metro) – Grand Final Winners
Last Year’s Prizes
Thanks to our wonderful sponsors we had an incredible prize pack for our overall competition winners, Hollow December that included:
- One day of engineering, producing, recording and mixing at Hothouse Studios.
- Mastering session with Mikey Young.
- Pressing of 500 CD copies of your recording and a graphic design layout session from Dex Audio.
- Kit of ‘band supplies’ including a Mapex snare drum, Elixir guitar and bass strings, Samson vocal mic, DI and headphones and Hercules mic and guitar stands from Electric Factory.
- T-shirt run of 50 x 1 colour print (valued at $500) from Love Police.
- $1000 poster distribution campaign with Plakkit.
- $1000 radio publicity campaign from Small Fry.
- Artist Review/Feature Article/Q&A in Beat Magazine.
- $500 Chartbreaker Package from Ditto Music including a consulting and strategy session (one hour), worldwide distribution for a single, EP or Album, a pre-order campaign for EP/Album with instant grat tracks, addition to Ditto Spotify playlists and pitches to Spotify playlists.
Sarahj was awarded the APRA AMCOS Songwriting Award, and received a music industry prize pack of $150 worth of books from APRA AMCOS.
All grand finalists will receive a summary of the judges’ notes from the Regional Finals and the Grand Final for their professional development from The Push.